Helping You Protect What Matters Most 

Austin Enforcement of Court Orders Lawyer

Compassionate Divorce Attorney

After all the time and effort you put into finalizing your divorce decree, you hope your family troubles will be over. Unfortunately, many times individuals experience problems with their ex-spouse following through with their legal obligations. Fortunately, if your spouse has violated the terms of your divorce order, the law is in your favor. At the Law Office of Matthew J. Meese, PLLC, we understand how important it is for you that your former spouse keeps to the arrangements made during the divorce process. Our Austin enforcement of court orders attorney can help you petition the court to demand that your ex start living in compliance.

To discuss your situation with an experienced divorce lawyer, dial (512) 357-8563 today or contact us online.

When Can I File a Motion for Contempt?

After a divorce, if one of the parties fails to abide by the divorce order, the other party has the right to bring the matter to the attention of the court. The most common way this is accomplished is by filing a motion for contempt, also called a motion to show cause.

A motion for contempt may be filed for a number of divorce decree violations, including failure to:

  • Pay child support
  • Pay spousal support
  • Adhere to a child custody order
  • Adhere to a parenting plan
  • Comply with terms of property division
  • Comply with a restraining order

After a motion has been filed, the court will hold a hearing to determine if the person is guilty of contempt of court.

The party who files the motion for contempt must prove the defendant:

  • Was aware of the divorce order
  • Violated the divorce decree
  • Had the ability to comply with the divorce order
  • Voluntarily chose to violate the divorce decree

If the judge rules that the person was in contempt of a court order, they can require that person to start complying with the decree. In addition, a judge may penalize the guilty party by ordering them to pay a fine, sending them to jail, suspending their license, withholding tax refunds, and more.

Turn to the Law Office of Matthew J. Meese, PLLC Today

Attorney Matthew J. Meese understands that either party in a divorce may be guilty of contempt of a court order. Our law firm can help you prove to a judge that your ex-spouse has failed in their duty to comply with the terms of your divorce decree.

For qualified legal assistance, call our Austin enforcement of court orders lawyer today at (512) 357-8563.

Our Family Law Approach

Experience the Difference
  • Personalized Attention

    Our focus is your family; we'll guide you every step of the way.

  • An Attorney with First-Hand Experience

    Our attorney has been in your shoes, he understands first-hand what you’re going through.

  • Serving Your Child's Best Interest

    Your priority is our focus; we put what matters most to you first.

  • Work Directly With An Attorney

    You will have direct access to your attorney every step of the way.

  • Easily Accessible

    We understand what you’re going through; we make ourselves accessible at all times.

  • Reduced Fee Consultations

    The first step is always the hardest, we make it easier to take the first step.

Let Us Guide You

Get In Touch
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.